Losi Forums » Main Categories » Micros and Minis »

First Losi Mini Desert Buggy (LOSB0204)

Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 AM

Smile First Losi Mini Desert Buggy (LOSB0204)

Hello everyone

I'm new to Hobby RC's and would like to know if some of you can answer a couple general questions for me.

I just bought a Mini Desert Buggy and would like to upgrade a few things on it over time. I ordered a LiPo batt and a slipper clutch so far. I assume these are both "Plug and Play"

I would eventually like to order a brushless motor. If and when I go this route is that all I would need to buy? I have seen some conflicting posts in forums about people upgrading to a brushless motor and others saying they upgraded the motor as well as the ESC in order to use it. Also others saying they swapped gears when changing to brushless. Are all these required to go brushless or can I just buy the brushless motor, swap it out and be good to go? Also I remember reading somewhere that the Stock ESC on the buggy (LOSB0204) was compatible with brushless motors, if that's the case why are people changing them out?

Thanks for the help everyone!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 AM

You will need a new ESC to run a brushless motor, you also need to make sure you have an LVC(low voltage cutoff) setup with your lipo batteries. Typically this is built into the esc, but not sure that is the case with the stock losi esc...

LIPO batteries do not like to be discharged below a certain voltage, hence the need for the LVC. Also make sure you balance your lipo packs, preferably during every charge. Your best bet is to invest in a good charger now that has the optionality to charge various battery types, # of cells, etc.

The reason people upgrade the diff gears to metal ones is that brushless motors have the capability to go alot faster than brushed, so the drivetrain lifespan can be reduced significantly.

Once you decide to get a brushless motor, you will just have to get the correct size in the kv rating you want to put in the vehicle. The kv rating is how fast the motor spins when voltage is applied. Going too high on kv rating(faster motor) will cause drivetrain problems, along with heat problems with the motor, esc, and potentially battery packs...

hope this helps

have been eyeing the buggy myself for my boys, think it would be alot of fun to drive on concrete and loose dirt....and should be very easy and cheap to maintain
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the info. I bought the LOSB9630 LiPo Battery and Charger Combo Set. Is that not a good charger for the LiPo? It states:

High capacity for longer use between charging
Less weight translates into increased speed
Constant 20C discharge capable with 30C peaks
Easy to install in vehicles and use
Charger capable of 110-240V (50/60Hz), so you can take it traveling with appropriate prong adapters (not included)
Balance connector installed for use with balance chargers for longer battery life

Also, with the brushless motor I was looking at the Losi LOSB9462, its a 1/18 Xcelorin 8200Kv Brushless Motor. Would you happen to know what Losi ESC (Part Number) I would have to swap the stock out with?

Thanks again!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM

In my opinion, that would not be a good charger, it does not look like it has a balancing plug. If you want to use that charger, I would definitely get an external balancer, a suggestion would be the astroflight blinky balancer, you can do a search and it will pull up the site.

I would look around and familiarize yourself with various motors and esc's, such as castle creations, they have a good reputation for their products and customer service.

8200, in my opinion, would be only for speed runs in these vehicles, I believe if you pull up the manual for the motors from the losi website, it will give you a guide on motor kv for the mini vehicles, you can also check this out at the castle creations site:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...a%20Setups.pdf

don't know the part number for the esc, but it will be on the losi or horizonhobby website
Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Oh ok. I was searching Amazon and found one that looks pretty identicle: (http://www.amazon.com/Common-Sense-R...3&sr=1-1-spell)

So basically you just attach this balancer to the battery while it's charging and it will keep everything safe?
... this stuff should really just all come bundled together it it's needed.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 PM

yup, the balancer makes sure the cells in your lipo battery pack are the same voltage, they also make a slightly more expensive version that has a readout of the individual cells voltage...

I don't use lipos myself, but if you are putting in an order, you would probably want to look into getting a lipo safe bag at the same time, basically a fire retardant bag you charge or store lipos in...it is a personal choice to use one or not, but I think they are recommended, especially if you are new to the hobby and don't fully understand lipo care...
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM

you can also check into the E-Z Run series brushless setups. They are a LOT cheaper and have been making a very good name for themselves.

I recently went brushless in my Mini-T (basically the same car) and this is what I bought.
ESC http://blackstarhobbies.com/index.ph...roducts_id=185
and
Motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m01-car-2030-7800.html

This motor pulls my Mini-T Pro up on the rear wheels for 20 feet at a time with medium gearing and average slipper adjustment.

For around $35 you cant go wrong.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Very nice motor thanks! I may just go this route. Is the pinion a different size then your stock motor or was it just putting these in the old parts place and it was all set? If different sizes, do you minds me asking what size so I know what to order along with the motor and esc?

Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 PM

I am glad you mentioned it. The pinions are the same size, but different mounting style. You will need steel pinions with a set screw. On that BlackStarHobbies website I gave you the link for the ESC. On the top left menu, select Associated, the RC18. You should see several aluminum pinions listed for $2.99 each, made by GPM. These are good, cheap, lightweight pinions. They will work with that brushless motor and the Losi Mini spur gear. The stock Losi sizes are 12T, 14T, and 16T
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Thank you so much! I will deff be taking that route then. I'll order the parts tomorrow. Let me know if you think of anything else. On a side note, it was mentioned earlier to me about needing a low voltage cutoff since I'll be using lipo battery, Does this esc have a cutoff and if not, how long do you run your car before quitting so that you do not fully drain the lipo?

Thanks again everyone for all your input